Inexpensive and stick to the plants. They are difficult to mix (often clogging sprayers) and settle to the bottom of the sprayer, causing inaccurate application rates unless stirred constantly. Ready-To-Use: Simple, quick, easy and always properly mixed. They are expensive if you need large amounts.
Granules: Easy and quick to apply with lawn spreader; heavy particles stay put. Need to be watered in to be effective and you risk birds/animals picking up granules that stay on the surface of the soil.
Pellets/Baits: Effective in attracting pests over a long period of time. However they can also attract/poison children, pets and wildlife and they often dissolve too quickly with rains and watering systems.
The level of toxicity is identified on every label. Chemical toxicity varies according to body size and how a person is exposed. The level listed on a container is based on the greatest risk for that chemical for an average size adult danger The most hazardous of all ratings; less than a teaspoonful undiluted could be fatal; sometimes this is also labeled with the skull and crossbones poison symbol warning. Moderately toxic, mid-range rating; a teaspoon to a tablespoon of undiluted product can be fatal. Caution The lowest level of acute toxicity.
Three Ways Pesticides Enter the Body
Oral While this doesn’t sound likely, most oral exposures occur while trying to unclog a spray tip by blowing through it, failing to wash off pesticides before eating, and occasionally, actually drinking the chemicals when they have been stored or mixed in improper containers.
Dermal Exposure through the skin represents the vast majority of pesticide exposure. Even dusts and granules can be absorbed through the skin and the risk will depend on how much and where on your body you are exposed. Rates of absorption vary greatly for different parts of the body and continue as long as the chemical is on the skin. Compared to how fast a chemical would be absorbed by the skin on your forearm, your palm and feet are a little faster, your stomach and chest twice as fast, your scalp and forehead 4 times as fast, your ears are 5 times faster and your genitals more than 10 times faster. Be sure to wear protective clothing and rinse any exposed skin immediately.
Inhalation Exposure through breathing in vapors, fumes or dusts. This usually occurs when spraying in poorly ventilated areas or getting downwind as pesticides are applied. There is also a danger of breathing the smoke from burning pesticide containers or sprayed paints. Avoid handling or smoking cigarettes when working with pesticides.
Chronic Toxicity vs. Acute Toxicity
Toxicity is simwoulply any adverse effect from exposure to a chemical.
Acute Toxicity refers to the chemical doing damage after a single, short-term exposure to a relatively large amount of the chemical.The Danger, Warning and Caution signal words on containers reflect acute toxicity. Acute toxicity is expressed as LD50 (lethal dose for 50% of the test population). The lower the LD50, the more toxic the chemical.
Chronic Toxicity is the harmful effect of exposure to a chemical at lower levels over a longer period of time. Not enough is known about this and there is no label warnings required unless a specific problem has been identified.
We strongly urge you to take the precautions necessary to keep the chemicals from becoming toxic to you or those around you. If you have any questions, professionals at McShane’s Nursery and Landscape Supply would be more than happy to show you how to apply the chemical and use it in a safe way.